Thursday, May 3, 2007

Denee Barr Art News and More

Andre Kertesz
1895 - 1985
American, born in Hungary

Do you remember the first photograph you ever took?
"Maybe as early as 1900, when I was very young, at a family gathering.
I had discovered a charming illustrated magazine in our attic which moved me very much; I felt its warmth and spontaneity and I decided that I wanted to express my own impressions in the same way."
page 43


Laura Gilpin
1891-1979
American

How did you first become interested in photography?

"I think I must have been given a Brownie camera when I was twelve. But probably what did me more good than anything else was being with my mother's closest friend, who was blind. During the St Louis Exposition, I would go to the fair every other day and describe the exhibits to her. I think that taught me observation like nothing else could. I can see those exhibits now, just as if it was yesterday."
page 221


Imogen Cunningham
1883-1976
American

How did you get started in photography?

"Everybody asks me that question. I'm asked it at parties, everywhere. Nobody started me. I was self-motivated. But I did see something of Gertrude Kasebier - and that's all I'm going to tell you about what started me off."
page 229


Excerpts from Dialogue With Photography
by Paul Hill & Thomas Cooper 1979
Cornerhouse Publications
Manchester

No comments: